As some of you know, I’ve been a bit of a lady of leisure. Four days after getting off the plane from Bali, I got back on the plane for another red eye flight to Brisbane. First time to Queensland!
Miss AL & I had the Queensland trip planned since late last year, our itinerary was the following:
- 1 night in Brisbane (for me anyway, Miss AL had arrived in Brisbane a few days earlier)
- 3 nights at Qualia Resort on Hamilton Island
- 4 nights on Airlie Beach
- 3 nights onboard the Summertime
- 1 final night on Airlie Beach before a full day of travel back to P-town.
This entry will be about our one night in Brisbane, Qualia & Hamilton Island.
The morning started off with brekky in Southbank. Had a terrible coffee, enough said.
After breakfast, I had to have a nap as I did not sleep all night on the plane. I was becoming a little delirious 😛
That night, we headed to Brisbane’s Chinatown. Their Chinatown is quite modern and clean.
We decided to have Thai, which was tasty. I only managed to get a pic of the minced duck dish. It was delicious, but I couldn’t help thinking that they went a little heavy handed with the fish sauce.
After dinner, we went bar-hopping around Fortitude Valley. We visited the following bars and had a drink at each place before retiring for the night.
- Elixir Rooftop Bar – Nice place, modern, very dim lighting. Crowd was late 20’s to a few 40’s to over 50’s.
- Cloudland – Unusual venue. Very large space. Ground floor is where you can eat and upstairs is the bar. Pretty chandeliers. Crowd was late 20’s to about 60’s to 70’s. Yes, our parents age… still out and behaving like 18 year olds, but who is to judge? At least they are having fun, right?
- The Bowery – This place was busy in the main bit but we found a little area that was empty. I remember it being pretty with red decor. Then some young QLD bogans asked us if we wanted to go to Stockies but we politely declined. This is when we really noticed the Queensland accent.
- La Ruche – This was our last stop, very pretty venue. Very burlesque-y styled, vintage, old glamour theme. Too bad Miss AL didn’t enjoy her drink – stay away from the Mumms Champers. Unless you are already very drunk and have lost all sense of taste.
QUALIA / HAMILTON ISLAND – Day 1
Next stop was Qualia Resort which is located on Hamilton Island. It is a 1 hour and 15 min flight away from Brisbane.
When we arrived at Qualia, we were greeted with a glass of champagne on arrival. As well as the beautiful view below.
We had to wait around the lounge area as our room was getting ready and they said it would be worth the wait. And boy was it…
This was our own heated plunge pool, overlooking the ocean. Bliss, I tell ya!
But you gotta check this out…
View from the bathtub!! And I did have a bubble bath, thanks for asking 😛
Part of our package was a gourmet dinner – we chose to have the degustation (tasting menu). This was at the Long Table Pavillion.
Overall, the food was impressive and we thoroughly enjoyed this experience. My favourite dishes was #1, #3 & #5. The desserts had an interesting flavour. I would recommend doing the tasting menu, although if you go, the menu will most likely change due to season and availability in produce.
I think this is actually turning into a rather long post, so I’m going to separate them by days 🙂