I’ve done it before, I did 16 days in August this year. Really, it’s not hard. And I’m doing it again. So far, 7 days down. 7 to go!
So, what was my reason for doing this? I felt like my energy levels were low around mid-afternoon, made me sleepy but at the same time, I had difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep. Therefore, my sleep was of poor quality.
It takes me a couple of days of no coffee to regain energy levels and for me sleep better.
So what did I substitute coffee with?
- Organic roasted dandelion/chicory root tea
- Barley tea
- Green tea (I know, it has caffeine in it, but the effects are not as bad as coffee – well, for me anyway 😛 )
- Herbal tea
- Freshly squeezed juices that I make myself
- Superfood smoothies that I make in my trusty Vitamix
Also, keeping busy also made me not reach for the coffee. The feeling of feeling blah made me not want coffee.
I just miss the taste of coffee… oh and the delicious smell!
What are the benefits of going without coffee?
- Better energy levels
- Improved quality of sleep
- Less scatter in the brain
- Less stress on adrenal glands
- Avoiding the “crash”
- Better productivity – serious but true.
Alternatives for when you are out and about
These days, most cafes are willing to accommodate people’s food choices. And in Perth, I’ve noticed a few places providing the “Red” series… Red Latte, Red Capuccino, Red Macchiato… What is it? Basically rooibois tea served the same way as our favourites.
There’s also the Chai Latte. Ask if it’s powder, syrup or leaves… you DON’T want the powder or syrup – it is basically sugar and junk. What you want is the chai leaves steeped in milk. You have the right to ask where your food/drink comes from. You are still paying for their product. So if the place you go to is not accommodating, just don’t go there again. Their loss, really.
Where in Perth can you go?
Fremantle / South Fremantle
- Manna Wholefoods & Cafe – They do a dandy latte here with organic milk!!! (dandy is dandelion tea – herbal coffee!)
- Ootong & Lincoln – They have the “Red” series here and also they do chai leaves steeped in milk for ya!
- The Little Concept – “Red” series available here… not sure about their chai though, haven’t ordered one. They have a large range of drinks available, so you can forgo the coffee and go for something else instead 🙂
- Harvest Espresso – “Red” series available here, haven’t tried asking for chai yet.
- Zucchero – Their chai is powdered, but you can ask for chai leaves to be steeped in milk.
- Toast – I asked for chai here and they happily steeped the leaves in milk for me. They have rooibos tea here so ask if they do it in the way you want it, ie. latte, long mac etc. If they don’t, you can just have the rooibos tea with milk on the side.
- Solomon’s Cafe – this is for the health conscious! This place will definitely cater to your requirements (just so long as you aren’t TOO demanding!) – many choices of beverages that you won’t even THINK about having a coffee 😉 True story!
- The Naked Fig – I think they do the Red Series, but I have been getting their chai which is made in a pot. They don’t use powder or syrup and they sweeten with honey. It’s pretty good, although maybe just a bit sweeter than what I’m used to (because I don’t take sugar in my hot drinks anymore!)
So if you feel that coffee is making you feel sluggish, giving you an unpleasant crash, foggy head and poor quality sleep, I suggest weaning off coffee and and try to go without for at least 14 days. I know it’s a lot to ask, but what would you prefer? Being addicted to a substance that makes you feel like Superman one minute and then the next minute, you feel like you’re withdrawing from heroin (not that I know what that’s like!) – or do you want to feel high on life without the coffee?
If you’d like some support, I’d love to help! Please feel free to contact me 😀
Main Image from Google